For the second year, the Tusculum College Old Oak Festival will host its Annual Bed Race. The event, which features decorative, competitive racing beds, will be held at 2 p.m. on Sunday. Two trophies will be conferred, one for most creative entry and the other for the winner of the speed competition. For more information, contact Barb Sell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tusculum College Old Oak Festival Bed Race
Rules for Bed Race 2015
1. Teams must have 5 members: 4 pushing and 1 riding the bed from start to finish lines.
2. Entry fee: $50 due April 10, 2015 Late registration fee: $25 after April 10
3. Teams will compete for speed and most creative.
4. Each team member must sign a release of liability form prior to the race.
5. Racers are responsible for their own medical insurance.
6. Participants under 18 must have a parent/guardian sign a release of liability form. No one under 14 can participate.
7. Each team will provide their own bed. Entry must look like a bed or be a themed design for your organization.
8. Twin size bed frame must be mounted on 4 functional wheels of any size and all must touch the ground. Frames may be made from any material (wood, metal, aluminum, etc.) and able to support the person on the bed.
9. Bed must have a mattress or padding (minimum of 2-4 inches thick). Mattress must be on the bed at all times.
10. Braces are permitted for safety and stability.
11. Pulling devices (ropes, etc.) or steering devices are prohibited.
12. Push bar/handle may not extend beyond 12” from frame.
13. During racing, a helmet must be worn by the bed rider and either be sitting or lying on the bed
14. Theme or costume attire is strongly encouraged. Be creative!! These will be displayed in a parade before the race. Beds will not be allowed to be stripped down before the race.
15. No sharp items, glass or obscene items on beds. Beds will be disqualified for any of these violations.
16. All beds will be inspected prior to racing for safety and/or mechanical issues.
17. Check-in begins at 1 p.m. on Saturday. Parade lap and People’s Choice judging begins at 1:30 p.m.
18. Teams may hand out flyers, coupons or other items during judging and parade lap. Items May NOT be thrown or tossed to the viewers. Team members may also carry buckets during the parade to collect donations for their perspective team.
19. No Alcoholic beverages are permitted.
20. Tusculum College Bed Race Committee reserves the right to disqualify any entry not complying with the rules and spirit of the contest, any unsafe entry, or any bed whose control may be questionable thus endangering the safety of spectators.
21. Teams will race in pairs, the slowest being eliminated.
22. Any team crossing into another lane or interfering with the progress of another team will be disqualified.
23. All members of a team and their bed must cross the finish line intact at the end of the course.
24. Prizes will be given for best decorated bed and fastest bed.